Torrentz.eu, formerly known as Torrentz.com, was the most popular BitTorrent meta-search engine, indexing torrent sites such as KickassTorrents, BTjunkie and The Pirate Bay.
The site was ranked in the top 5 of all BitTorrent sites according to statistics from Alexa. It didn’t offer any downloads on the site but pointed to external torrent sources instead.
Torrentz had a community of more than a million users and lists “verified” torrents on the frontpage.
Here is what happened to Torrentz and why it’s no longer available.
Torrentz shut down in 2016 after being in operation for more than 13 years. The site operator, Flippy, never explained in detail why he took this sudden decision. We do know however that the shutdown was voluntary and the Torrentz domain wasn’t seized or taken over.
Soon after Torrentz.eu said farewell, the unrelated Torrentz2.eu took over.
Founded: July 24, 2003
Closed: August 4, 2016
- Accused Movie Pirate Couple End Up in Court After Profane TiradeTwo movie companies have filed a lawsuit accusing an Arizona couple of downloading and sharing its movies through the YTS website. The husband and wife pair initially appeared to resolve the issue with an out-of-court settlement. However, instead of paying up, the husband lashed out in a tirade against the movie companies’ lawyer, while accusing him of spying on their three-year-old kid.
- Plex Sues Streaming Service That Will Run Blockbuster Movies Before TheatersA new streaming service set to premiere blockbuster movies before they reach theaters is facing legal action. Due to launch on October 2, the Zee Plex “Cinema2Home” platform hopes to pull in large audiences watching from their own homes. However, the use of the word ‘Plex’ is unacceptable to US-based Plex, Inc., which claims that the Zee Plex service is abusing its trademark.
- Russia Joins WIPO Project to Block Pirate Revenue But There’s Still No TransparencyAfter two years of development the World Intellectual Property Organisation launched its BRIP database in 2019 with the aim of strangling advertising revenue to pirate sites. Russia says it will now contribute its resources to the program but which sites are blacklisted overall will remain a mystery due to a complete lack of transparency.
- Greek Pirate Site Blockade Expands With Hundreds of Pirate Bay, YTS, and 1337x DomainsFollowing a request from a local anti-piracy group, Greek ISPs are required to block access to block over 200 new domain names. Most of the targeted domains are proxies for The Pirate Bay, 1337x, and YTS. The order, issued by a special Government-affiliated commission, also denied one blocking request because the targeted domain is not similar to a previously blocked site.
- Top 10 Most Torrented Movies of The Week – 09/28/20Every week we take a close look at the most pirated movies on torrent sites. What are pirates downloading? ‘Enola Holmes’ tops the chart, followed by ‘Mulan’. ‘Antebellum’ completes the top three.