Torrentz.eu, formerly known as Torrentz.com, was the most popular BitTorrent meta-search engine, indexing torrent sites such as KickassTorrents, BTjunkie and The Pirate Bay.
The site was ranked in the top 5 of all BitTorrent sites according to statistics from Alexa. It didn’t offer any downloads on the site but pointed to external torrent sources instead.
Torrentz had a community of more than a million users and lists “verified” torrents on the frontpage.
Here is what happened to Torrentz and why it’s no longer available.
Torrentz shut down in 2016 after being in operation for more than 13 years. The site operator, Flippy, never explained in detail why he took this sudden decision. We do know however that the shutdown was voluntary and the Torrentz domain wasn’t seized or taken over.
Soon after Torrentz.eu said farewell, the unrelated Torrentz2.eu took over.
Founded: July 24, 2003
Closed: August 4, 2016
- ACE Delivers Major Blow to Spanish Private Torrent Site SceneWith the rise of pirate streaming sites, illegal IPTV services, and legal platforms such as Netflix, even torrent sites have been feeling the pinch. In Spain, two private trackers took the decision to merge and reappear as one under fresh branding. Action by the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment means that Spain’s leading private torrent community has permanently closed.
- Omi in a Hellcat “Said He’d Kill Me” Pirate IPTV Co-Defendant Tells CourtAfter the FBI shut down his Gears pirate IPTV empire, YouTuber Bill Omar Carrasquillo, aka Omi in a Hellcat, pleaded guilty along with two co-defendants. One was hired by Carrasquillo to work on the service from home. His sentencing memorandum claims that when he tried to quit, gunmen threatened him on two occasions after Carrasquillo said he would kill him.
- Top Russian Official Thanks Pirates For Enabling Access to ‘Enemy’ ContentFormer Russian President Dimitry Medvedev used Telegram yesterday to thank pirates who developed programs to enable access to “expensive intellectual products” owned by Russia’s enemies. In future, everything from movies to industrial software will be pirated, Medvedev said.. All that remains is the adoption of the rules.
- U.S. Identifies Top Pirate Sites and Other ‘Notorious Markets’The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative has published its annual list of the largest piracy websites and other “notorious markets.” This year’s overview includes usual suspects The Pirate Bay, FMovies, and Rapidgator, but several IPTV services and even hosting companies are mentioned as well. The USTR hopes that by highlighting the threats, platform operators or foreign authorities will take action.
- AnimixReplay Shuts Down After ACE Comes KnockingTo some people, the Internet is a digital playground where copyright infringement isn’t taken all that seriously. However, when several of the world’s largest entertainment companies come knocking, reality can quickly sink in. It’s something AnimixReplay learned this week, although initially, there were some doubts.